Green Machine Donuts
Prep time: 25 minutes (10 minutes active, 15 minutes passive)
Bake time: 15 minutes
Makes 8 small donuts
For the donuts:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 Tbsp spirulina powder
3 Tbsp matcha powder
2 tsp vanilla bean powder
2 tsp cacao/cocoa powder
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt or table salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax seed with 3 tablespoon water; mix and allow to set 10-15 minutes in the refrigerator, until a gooey "egg" is made)
1/3 cup local non-filtered honey
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil or ghee (melted)
For the frosting:
1/4 cup cashew nut butter (you can substitute with almond or brazil nut)
1/2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp Saigon cinnamon
Sprinkle with matcha and cocoa powder
1/8 cup (fine flavor) cocoa nibs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (360F if baking at higher altitudes) and liberally grease a donut or muffin pan (if the latter, pop out mini donut holes in the tin after baking - they're very snack-able!).
2. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients; coconut flour, spirulina, matcha, cocoa, vanilla powder, salt, and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs & flax egg with honey and melted coconut oil (or ghee).
4. Fold in dry ingredients into wet ingredients, blend until no clumps remain.
5. Fill the pan's receptacles about 3/4 full and bake for 12–14 minutes, until just firm and spongey.
6. Allow to cool on a wire rack, or an elevated non-plastic surface for a few minutes.
7. In the existing dry ingredient bowl (no need to mess up a clean one!) stir nut butter, cinnamon, and dash of your preferred sweetener.
8. Turn the mold/pan over and dip the top side of the donuts into the "clean/paleo" frosting while they’re still a tad warm, sprinkle with nibs and Jackson Pollock style decoration.
9. Will keep up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Well + Good