Episode 14: Megan Giller Author of 'Bean-to-Bar Chocolate: America's Craft Chocolate Revolution'
Description: Food writer, journalist, and now author of the latest book revealing the cast of characters and intricacies of the burgeoning artisan chocolate scene, Megan Giller shares her story on this Well Tempered women-in-chocolate podcast. A Texan native, she now resides in Brooklyn, NY and loves all the chocolate...she hosts tastings and meetups known as 'Underground Chocolate Salons', and her work has appeared in the New York Times, Eater, Food & Wine, and Forbes to name a few. In 2016 - just a year after launch - her website ChocolateNoise.com was a finalist for the Saveur Blog Awards. This fall and winter she'll be on her book tour; check dates for activities and signings near you.
Megan's book 'Bean-to-Bar Chocolate: America's Craft Chocolate Revolution: The Origins, the Makers, and the Mind-Blowing Flavors' is available now!
Themes discussed in this episode:
- Her start as a food writer
- Writing a book that she wished existed when she entered the scene
- How the Madagascar single origin swept her off her feet and launched a category
- Literally dreaming of craft chocolate -- the obsession and the curse
- Having to define terms within a maturing sector, with few solid references to work with
- Balancing social media into your life and profession
- Finding and writing for your tribe
- Kristy Leissle writing on the word 'artisan'; "...demonstrates that “artisan” has shifted away from denoting a labor class. Instead, it now suggests a community of producers and consumers who perceive shared priorities for this value chain."
- Her article about 'women in chocolate' that acknowledges many (and counting) female makers, owners, and crafters
- A peek into Megan's Underground Chocolate Salons
Three craft chocolates Megan would take to the Cosmos:
1) Fruition Chocolate's Marañón Canyon Dark Milk 68%
2) Askinosie Dark Chocolate, Crunchy Sugar Crystals & Vanilla Bean (CollaBARation wih Zingerman's Deli)
3) Dandelion Chocolate 70% Mantuano, Venezuela
Books/articles Megan is reading or recommends (other than hers!):
Upcoming chocolate books being released the latter part of 2017 and into 2018
- Dandelion Chocolate's 'Making Chocolate: From Bean to Bar to S'more'
- Meaningful Work: A Quest to Do Great Business, Find Your Calling, and Feed Your Soul by Shawn & Lawren Askinosie
- Cocoa by Kristy Leissle
- A forthcoming chocolate and whiskey book by R.M Peluso, author of Deep Tasting: A Chocolate Lover's Guide to Meditation
- Chocolate Alchemy: A Bean to Bar Primer by Kristen Hard (of Cacao Atlanta)
Where to find more from Megan:
Chocolate Noise website
More from Lauren, host of Well Tempered and chocolate maker at WKND Chocolate:
Instagram: @wkndchocolate @welltemperedpodcast
Facebook: WKND Chocolate
Submit a nomination for future podcasts: https://goo.gl/forms/vzhbiUoxTCu3G55H2